Monday 1 September 2008

Victoria Sandwich Cake

This month's Sweet & Simple Bake is Victoria Sandwich Cake.

I baked this last night, and was pleasantly surprised to realise how hassle-free this recipe is. The ingredient list is short, the amount of equipment and utensils used are washup-friendly. More importantly, my mixture did not curdle (like they usually do) when I added the eggs in, as I did exactly as instructed and added the eggs 1tsp at a time. I'm so glad to pick up an important tip.

Though my cake did not turn out a nice even brown as the cake in the SSB website, I am pleased with this first attempt. And I only have one 6" tin, I baked the whole thing in one tin instead of 2 tins. Then I sliced it in half and spread the strawberry jam. As soon as the cake was filled with the strawberry jam, I ate a slice, and so did my husband. It was yummy! My cake was a 6" one, with 2 slices gone, it looked like half the cake was gone.

This morning, I googled the origins of Victoria Sandwich cake. Sprinkling sugar on top is quite an important part! I did not sprinkle sugar on top last night, as I thought it would be too sweet. After googling, I went to sprinkle sugar on the remaining cake and took some new pictures, haha!

I brought 2 slices for my parents to try and they liked it. When I came back just now, there was none left for me. I sure will be making this again! And I will be getting a 8" tin or another 6" tin, so that I can have more cakes!




11 comments:

Chawanmushi said...

Hi bimmer
Your cake looks wonderful! I must agree it was good to eat too :-)

Rosie said...

Hi Bimmer - what a beautiful looking sponge cake!! Well done and many thanks for partaking in S&SB monthly bake :)

Rosie x

Arundathi said...

lovely! we enjoyed it too!

Bimmer said...

Hi Chawanmushi,
thanks! I like your cake too!

Hi Rosie,
thanks for choosing this recipe, I thoroughly enjoy it. In fact I bought a 8" pan today, just so that I can make a bigger cake soon!

Hi Arundathi,
like your idea of different jams, I'm sure it tasted fantastic!

lilmizlynn said...

Your cake looks great! At first, I also didnt thought how easy it is to make this cake.... :)

Amu... said...

Great Looking Cake Bimmer...:-)

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I loved making this one. Its a favourite in our house. Yours looks fab

Maria♥ said...

Hi Bimmer

Your cake looks wonderfully delicious!

Thanks for taking part and hope you will join us in our next bake.

Maria
x

Rei said...

Hi there, your cake looks beautiful! Lovely picture.

jobs newzealand said...

tummy tempting :)

Manila Real Estate said...

The Victoria sandwich looks really delicious..

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails