Monday, 1 September 2008

Victoria Sandwich Cake

This month's Sweet & Simple Bake is Victoria Sandwich Cake.

I baked this last night, and was pleasantly surprised to realise how hassle-free this recipe is. The ingredient list is short, the amount of equipment and utensils used are washup-friendly. More importantly, my mixture did not curdle (like they usually do) when I added the eggs in, as I did exactly as instructed and added the eggs 1tsp at a time. I'm so glad to pick up an important tip.

Though my cake did not turn out a nice even brown as the cake in the SSB website, I am pleased with this first attempt. And I only have one 6" tin, I baked the whole thing in one tin instead of 2 tins. Then I sliced it in half and spread the strawberry jam. As soon as the cake was filled with the strawberry jam, I ate a slice, and so did my husband. It was yummy! My cake was a 6" one, with 2 slices gone, it looked like half the cake was gone.

This morning, I googled the origins of Victoria Sandwich cake. Sprinkling sugar on top is quite an important part! I did not sprinkle sugar on top last night, as I thought it would be too sweet. After googling, I went to sprinkle sugar on the remaining cake and took some new pictures, haha!

I brought 2 slices for my parents to try and they liked it. When I came back just now, there was none left for me. I sure will be making this again! And I will be getting a 8" tin or another 6" tin, so that I can have more cakes!




11 comments:

Chawanmushi said...

Hi bimmer
Your cake looks wonderful! I must agree it was good to eat too :-)

Rosie said...

Hi Bimmer - what a beautiful looking sponge cake!! Well done and many thanks for partaking in S&SB monthly bake :)

Rosie x

Arundathi said...

lovely! we enjoyed it too!

Bimmer said...

Hi Chawanmushi,
thanks! I like your cake too!

Hi Rosie,
thanks for choosing this recipe, I thoroughly enjoy it. In fact I bought a 8" pan today, just so that I can make a bigger cake soon!

Hi Arundathi,
like your idea of different jams, I'm sure it tasted fantastic!

lilmizlynn said...

Your cake looks great! At first, I also didnt thought how easy it is to make this cake.... :)

Amu... said...

Great Looking Cake Bimmer...:-)

Beth said...

I loved making this one. Its a favourite in our house. Yours looks fab

Maria said...

Hi Bimmer

Your cake looks wonderfully delicious!

Thanks for taking part and hope you will join us in our next bake.

Maria
x

Rei said...

Hi there, your cake looks beautiful! Lovely picture.

jobs newzealand said...

tummy tempting :)

Manila Real Estate said...

The Victoria sandwich looks really delicious..

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails