Saturday 8 January 2011

Perfect (and easy) Mashed Potatoes

New Year's Eve went away so quickly. All that hype about celebrations happening everywhere were just gone in a flash. 

I spent New Year's Eve watching a movie - Gulliver's Travels starring Jack Black, which was quite a letdown, and then back home to watch the countdown on TV. While the TV was screaming the last few seconds of 2010 away, I stood at my window. At the strike of the clock, the fireworks started, at several locations on our island. Only thing was that the fireworks I saw from my window were the occasional high ones from our neighbouring country across the Causeway. There were some to the right and to the left of the Causeway too, but I'm not too sure where they were and they mostly just lit up the sky, with the occasional few high enough for me to see.

A few hours of sleep later, that was it. We are in 2011. Back to reality, no difference from 2010. I have stopped making New Year resolutions a long time ago, because not only do I not keep to them, by February, I would have forgotten what I have resolved to do.

To start of the new year, I made something easy and fail-proof. Actually I made them on the last few hours of last year, but let's just start the year with a blog entry that is comforting and will never disappoint. 


That's it. Mashed potatoes. Easy enough? You bet.

This is from a new recipe book I bought from a book warehouse sale. It's called Grandma's Best Recipes - Traditional comfort food just like Grandma used to make. My grandma never cooked any dish from the book, she used to cook Hokkien dishes, but still, I'm glad I bought it. 

In it are many recipes which looks uncomplicated and accompanied by pictures that looked very appetizing. It is kind of a surprise, because past visits to book warehouse sales have quite convinced me it is impossible to find good cookbooks at such events. But copies of this particular book were lying around everywhere at the sale, and people were walking past without taking a second look.

Please pardon the picture. I made this at night and could not wait till the next morning to take better pictures. Besides, these days, we keep having gloomy skies which make it real hard to get natural lighting.

Try out the recipe here! Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you mash potato looks delicious, wondering of you ad butter, cream and pepper to it.
nonstick bakeware

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails